Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering Education
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Education was established in the year 1965. Since its inception the department has been engaged in conducting content updating and pedagogical training programmes for the faculty of technical institutions of India and abroad. The Department is also engaged in conducting research in Civil and Environmental Engineering and pedagogical areas, curriculum design, learning resources development for Civil and Environmental Engineering and allied disciplines, development of laboratory manuals, item bank, community development through polytechnic, integrating persons with disabilities in the main stream of technical and vocational education, etc. The department is also carrying out testing and consultancy works in the field of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Two PG Programmes in Construction Technology and Management and Structural Engineering discipline started from 2011-12 and 2012-13 respectively. The department has state of art infrastructure.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Education shall proactively strive to become an excellent academic leader, change agent and a contributor in catering to the developmental and HRD needs of Technical Education System, Civil and Environmental Engineering Industries, and allied service sectors keeping in tune with the vision of the Institute.
- Provide academic leadership in the area of Civil and Environmental Engineering Education, Training, Research and Development for improvements and innovations in Technical Education System.
- Constantly expanding the horizons of the department to reflect changing technologies.
- Conduct education and training programmes in contact, distance, online and blended mode.
- Contribute and promote improvements in Technical Education System through project-based interventions.
- Actively collaborate with industry, national and international organizations, field agencies and community for training, research and development.
- Develop and disseminate learning resources, print and non-print materials.
- Develop outcome based curricula incorporating latest trends in technology.
- Contribute toward national mission and schemes of Govt. of India.
The objectives of Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Education are:
- Act as a centre for offering need based quality training programmes for teachers of civil and allied engineering, covering the polytechnics, engineering colleges, at regional and national levels.
- Offer long-term programmes including degree awarding programmes at Graduate, Post Graduate, Ph.D. level in Civil and allied engineering discipline.
- Arrange practical training for Civil and allied engineering teachers in industries on a cooperative education plan.
- Undertake systemic research to provide research inputs for development of technical education training systems and its management.
- Undertake action research for development of innovative methods, processes and practices for improvement of teaching learning environment in technical and vocational education institutions.
- Design new instructional system and strategies for production of multimedia learning materials in Civil and allied engineering and Engineering Education.
- Develop and disseminate learning resources like Textbooks, Laboratory Manuals, Video Programmesand Computer Assisted Instructional Multimedia Packages to technical and vocational institutions and other organisations.
- Offer programmes for technical and vocational teachers in distance/ on-line/ MOOC learning mode using state of the art technologies.
- Offer courses/programmes for technical and vocational teachers to suit overseas demand especially SAARC& ASEAN countries through ITEC programmes etc.
- Collaborate with Community and Industry in organising Continuing and Non formal vocational education programmes and providing extension and consultancy services.
- Undertake Consultancy and Extension Work for industry, technical institutions/organizations.
- Facilitate national missions and schemes of Govt. of India.
- Cooperate with educational or other institutions in any part of the world having objects wholly or partly similar to those of the Institute by exchange of teachers and scholars and generally in such manner as may be conducive to their common objects.
- Create infrastructure and resources to achieve the objectives of the department.
CORE STRENGTHS OF THE DEPARTMENT
Civil and Environmental Engineering is considered to be the most versatile branch among all the engineering branches.Core strength of the department is listed below:
- Qualified, competent, experienced and committed faculty and staff.
- Expertise in designing and implementing outcome based curriculum, outcome based teaching-learning and outcome based assessment.
- Adapting and Leading Engineering Education reforms.
- Use of advanced teaching methods in teaching-learning.
- Experience in supporting various missions and schemes of Govt. of India.
- Research in Civil and Environmental Engineering and pedagogical areas.
- Wide-ranging experience in offering training, testing and consultancy to varied clientele.
- Community and stakeholders outreach.
- Extensive interaction with higher education institutes, industries and field agencies like IITs, NITs, Universities, Engineering Colleges, Polytechnics, UADD, Nagar Nigam, PWD, CPWD, CPA, SPCB etc.
- State of art infrastructure.
- Value system having leadership, team work, time based completion of task, client satisfaction and dedication.